Saturday, August 29, 2009

Gonna have to serve somebody

Dusty idea today is knowing that we're either for God or against him. A lot of people today have decided that there's a gray area where people can be judged as "good enough to keep" by God. We can be good people, not be dishonest, be faithful to our spouse, always return the tools we borrowed from our neighbors and we got a chance at being saved. Never darkened the door of a church, except that time at the blood drive. That counts doesn't it? The only blood that's gonna matter is the blood that Christ lost on the cross. If you aren't actively living for Christ, doing his will, you don't have any sacrifice for your sins.

Romans 6:23 - For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. (ESV)


Man has somehow decided that we can be saved without ever coming to believe that Jesus is the son of God. We've decided that our personal plan of salvation doesn't have to include baptism. We've decided that we don't really know if God is up there somewhere, but just in case I'll try to keep my nose clean here on earth so he can find me a good person and save me one day.


Hebrews 9:27-28 And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgement, so Christ having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him. (ESV)


You can see in the writing above that Jesus isn't coming back to see what he can do about getting you to follow him, or some other thing to give you another chance. He's coming back to receive those that are waiting for him, eagerly wish to see him.


So we come to the eternal question. Who are you gonna serve?


Matthew 12:30 (Jesus speaking) Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters. (ESV)


No gray area here for good old boys and girls. Good old boys and girls are going to be lost if they don't get to know Jesus. Jesus is the only thing that can save us.


Acts 4:12 And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.


So again, who you gonna serve?


Reasons for not serving Jesus, are any of these your reasoning?

1. Ignorance of your need for Christ

2. Too many rules I want to live my life

3. People should accept me as I am, I know whats best for me so God just needs to give up and let me be me

4. You don't believe that Jesus is the Son of God and you're only hope.

5. You don't believe in God whether you want to claim atheism or that you're an agnostic, same difference as far as receiving God's Son as your sacrifice for sin.

6. You believe all this but you're not ready to give up your lifestyle yet, I'm young and I got plenty of time.

7. You think God should conform to your way of thinking instead of the other way around.

8. You just don't care about God or Jesus and if Hell is in your future so be it.

9. Snobby people down at the church aren't any better than me.

10. I won't fit in, Christian people just won't accept me.


If any of these reason above are yours then the next two verses are for you.


Matthew 25:41, 46 Then will he say to those on his left, "Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life. (ESV)


The answer to the question at this point is really a no brainer. It only pays to serve God. You can have a few days of pleasure here ignoring God and getting all your pleasure from satan, or you can follow God and live forever in the heavenly realm. You can decide to just do nothing about Jesus and see what happens. Satan would like that, if you're not on Jesus' side you are automatically on his side.


This last verse always sobers me, and I'll end with this thought.


Hebrews 10:31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.